Friday, February 27, 2009

[Photoshop-Haven] Re: Is CS4 any faster than CS3?... reply to Chris

Chris,
I've had CS4 for about a month now. While I cannot offer a
comparison of performance between CS3 and CS4, I can provide you with
my experience with Bridge on CS4.

I jumped from version CS to CS4 and am a first time user of Bridge.
Bridge immediately caused performance issues on my Dell Inspiron
laptop with 2 GB of RAM and a 1.6 GB processor, much like what you
described, but I tolerated it in hopes that it would improve after it
had a chance to cache my image library.

Although I found my first use of Bridge as a convenient way to access
my library of images and project files, Bridge quickly became an
unnecessary burden on the already burdened engine on my laptop... not
to mention that I am used to the way I store and locate my files on
both my internal and external harddrives.

With Bridge, there is the so called convenience of a one-stop shop,
but the trade-off value is questionable depending on the my machine's
horsepower and my memory capacity for file locations, not that of my
laptop :-)

Conclusion: Save yourself the pain of upgrading unless you are
craving the other new features CS4 has to offer. I would be
surprised if Bridge is any faster in CS4.
Hope this helps,
Mike


--- In Photoshop-Haven@yahoogroups.com, "chrisgibbins_62" <cjg62@...>
wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I've been using CS3 for a while now, and find that Bridge has
> become really slow. I have large numbers of images and, despite
> cacheing to individual directories, the blobs file has become
> huge - many GB - and Bridge seems to consume vast resources, eating
> up RAM. I have 3 GB installed (running 32-bit XP Pro, so no point
in
> any more).
>
> Whenever I change to a different directory in Bridge, the little
> wheel in the bottom left corner grinds slowly round and round, and
> the % number creeps up painfully slowly, taking minutes until it
> reaches 100%, before I can do anything. This happens every time I
go
> back to directories supposedly already cached.
>
> I've tried deleting the blobs files and clearing the cache, but
that
> slows things down even more as it rebuilds the cache and the blobs
> files.
>
> My question is this: is Bridge in CS4 any faster? Does it consume
> fewer resources than in CS3? Does it still generate multi-GB blobs
> files?
>
> Thanks for any feedback on this,
> Chris
> __________________________________________
>


------------------------------------

------------------- Photoshop-Haven --------------------~-~>

BlogViewsByRoz.com<br>
http://www.BlogViewsByRoz.com<br>

---------------------------------------------------------------_->
Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Photoshop-Haven/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Photoshop-Haven/join
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
mailto:Photoshop-Haven-digest@yahoogroups.com
mailto:Photoshop-Haven-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
Photoshop-Haven-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

0 comments:

Template by - Abdul Munir | Daya Earth Blogger Template