Monday, March 2, 2009

RE: [photoshop-beginners] update help

Hi Cathy –

 

Well, it sounds like Xplornet is still operating as if they are “cutting edge”.  Having a limit of 200MB per day really kills what you can – and should do on the Internet.  As we’ve discussed, Windows updates alone can be more than that.  I’m presently setting up a new laptop for a client and the updates that I’m doing right now are coming in at just over 400MB.  No way could I make this a 2, 3, or 4 day job!  But anyway…

 

In order to create a scheduled task, you have to know what it is you want to schedule to run.  You can’t just say to open Photoshop once a day at 3am – Photoshop will open.  Will it check for updates?  It might.    What we need to do is schedule the updater that Adobe uses to run. 

 

I’m shooting in the dark here as I haven’t had to do this, and hopefully wont’ have to do either!  So some of the steps might not be needed.

 

1)      First, go into Photoshop, click on Help -> Updates.  Then click on Preferences.  Tell the updater that you want to actually download any updates, not just check. 

2)      Next, figure out where your updater file is.  On my computer, it’s a file called “AdobeUpdater.exe” and it’s located in C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Updater5.  It may or may not be the same as yours, but it should get you close.  You could do a search on your computer for that file to see where it resides.

3)      Now you want to create a scheduled task.  It’s actually quite easy to do in XP, and I imagine not much worse in Vista (can’t remember for sure what you are using).  As you are setting it up, it will ask you for the path of what you want to run on the date and time when you specify.  This file that I mentioned – wherever you find it on your PC – is what you want the scheduled task to run.  Choose your times according to your “schedule” that Xplornet has given you. 

 

That should be it.  You can then check the “Scheduled Tasks” folder the day after it is scheduled to run to see if it worked or not.  There is also a log file that Adobe creates when it checks for updates, so you could look at that too and see if it does, indeed, go out and look for updates.

 

As a side note, I did a quick search on Google for “monitoring bandwidth usage” and came up with some easy tutorials for being able to monitor how much bandwidth you use.  It might be helpful a) to make sure that you and Xplornet are on the same page (and they aren’t just disconnecting people for their own benefit) and b) help you see if you are having some issues.

 

http://www.simplehelp.net/2007/09/09/how-to-monitor-your-internet-bandwidth-usage-in-windows/

http://www.satellitefamily.com/tools-how-to-monitor-your-bandwidth.asp

 

Unfortunately, you do have to download a small utility (275KB) to do it, which will count against your usage…  L

 

Todd

 

 

 

From: photoshop-beginners@yahoogroups.com [mailto:photoshop-beginners@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Reed and Cathy Wolfe
Sent: Sunday, March 01, 2009 2:23 PM
To: photoshop-beginners@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [photoshop-beginners] update help

 

Thanks Keith,

I made a brief attempt at that when scheduling other tasks that were
already listed on there. I guess I will try again and wade through the
info on how to add a task. I thought that it would be simple, but as
with everything, there is a bit of a learning curve with terms that are
not familiar to me. I will try that again after I get myself a cup of
coffee. At this moment it seems to be my best option.

The last time I called Xplornet, the woman on the other end told me to
try downloading a scheduler program. Had to laugh at that because when I
asked her, she agreed that downloading a program to prevent future
brownouts would probably brown us out - hows that for irony? So I will
take your advice and try the Task Scheduler again. Perhaps with a bit of
caffeine in me, I will be braver.

Thanks again,
Cathy



__._,_.___


Please check out our sister group, attachments allowed-Photoshop by Example http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ps-by-ex/ =========Members Map http://www.frappr.com/photoshopbeginners ========




Your email settings: Individual Email|Traditional
Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch to Fully Featured
Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

__,_._,___

0 comments:

Template by - Abdul Munir | Daya Earth Blogger Template