Saturday, November 22, 2008

[Photoshop-Haven] Re: Color repair of longhouse photo

Hi, John. From a graphic designer's perspective I am only interested in
making white white or close to white, gray's neutral, and shadows with
detail. It also helps to remember that a sky in Alaska is probably a deep
medium blue and trees are overall green. I don't need to know much
about the house other than I am guessing that certain parts of the
carvings are white. I start from there.

What I don't understand yet, and this is because I do not color correct
for a living, but, why this should not be a simple correction. All it seems
is color photographing through a colored glass. So I figure if I can
somehow remove the caramel overall color, the remaining is the
actual photo. But saying it and doing it is not as simple as I thought,
or maybe it is in CS3 Photoshop and I am to learn how, I hope.

If anyone else can help get me over this learning hump, I would
appreciate your input.

jr


>
> Do not go on the assumption that the photo you downloaded is the same as
> her photo. It looks to be the same subject, but remember that her image was
> taken 30 years ago. What we do not have is a verifiable picture of it from
> then to compare. Take a good look at both pictures and you can see some work
> was done on it in the intervening 30 years. Notice the changes in the
> roofline. In the original image, you actually see the shingles edge on. In
> the more recent image, the shingle edges are covered by boards, (I know
> there is an architectural term for it, maybe eave, but I am do not know it:(
> ) Also, notice the post on the left hand side. Compare how it intersects the
> roof, it is different in the two pictures. Even the steps are different.
> Everything suggests that if these two pictures are of the structure, there
> has been a restoration project which could account for the difference in
> color. In every attempt to adjust the image color, I come up with a washed
> out gray for the unpainted wood, which is unlike the newer image. Maybe some
> form of gray IS the correct color. Have you seen an old barn that has not
> been painted for 100 years or so? Same color. The newer image could be of
> wood restoration that has not faded yet. Also note the different steps in
> the two pictures, and ground in the newer picture has been cleaned and
> weeded compared to the older picture.
>
> My biggest problem is getting the tree and sky colors right. And that is
> assuming they are the same type of tree. They probably are if they are the
> same structures. And I have managed to get a blue sky along the tree line
> but it fades to an icky green at the top and the corners. One thing I have
> succeeded in doing, and that is that which appears to white, is now white.
> This suggests that I am close to the rest of the image.
>
> Part of the answer may be staring us in the face, but we are not recognizing
> it because of false expectations.
>
>
> Now for a real oddity, again I am assuming these are the same structures.
> One of them is flipped. Notice the figures at the top of the corner posts.
> In the old picture the right hand is on top of the left hand. In the newer
> picture, the LEFT hand is on top. Notice the central pillar/totem, the third
> face up from the entrance has a "mouth" that is slanted. In the old picture
> it is pointed to the opposite direction of the "mouth" in the newer picture.
> Finally, there is a totem pole in the left foreground of the newer picture.
> The older one just has a shadow, but it is on the right side. So, which
> picture is flipped??? (Not that it matters to the color correction, but it
> is curious...)
>
> Anyway, interesting pictures...............
>
> JohnW
>
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Photoshop-Haven@yahoogroups.com
> [mailto:Photoshop-Haven@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Barry
> Sent: Friday, November 21, 2008 12:17 AM
> To: Photoshop-Haven@yahoogroups.com
> Subject: Re: [Photoshop-Haven] Re: Color repair of longhouse photo
>
> I've been playing arfound with this image and got some results that were a
> definite improvement but I had no way of knowing if my colors were even
> close to correct.  Not knowing what it should look like is a real hinderance
> so I set out on a mission to find a picture of that same house.  After about
> an hour of searching, I actually did find it and you can view it here. 
> http://tinyurl.com/64yr6v
>  
> Now knowing what it should look like, may make it easier to make the
> adjustments.  I'm sure there are others in this group that are way better at
> color correction than me so hopefully someone will come up with something. 
> I'll work on it some more this weekend.
>  
> Grandpa
>
> --- On Thu, 11/20/08, kulshanmom <lizengle@...> wrote:
>
> From: kulshanmom <lizengle@...>
> Subject: [Photoshop-Haven] Re: Color repair of longhouse photo
> To: Photoshop-Haven@yahoogroups.com
> Date: Thursday, November 20, 2008, 5:24 PM
>
>
>
>
>
>
> Hello everyone:
> To repair this photo, I think the answer lies in utilizing Adjustment
> Layers. A CS3 book I have has a section called: "To convert a color
> layer to grayscale and restore the color selectively. " When I can
> figure out how to do this, maybe I can solve the problem. John R, I
> think this is what you are doing, too, and it seems to be a question
> of trial and error. Liz and Hasan also have been working with the
> longhouse photo and have come up with some variations of color, but
> none of us have found the optimum solution. I thank you all for your
> interest.
> Sincerely,
> Liz Engle (Kulshanmom)
> --- In Photoshop-Haven@ yahoogroups. com, "John R" <jrswebhome@ ...>
> wrote:
> >
> > Elizabeth, have you received any help with your image?
> > I am curious how someone corrects it. I tried last nite.
> > I took the overall caramel color and placed it on a
> > layer above the image solid. I tried various layer
> > modes for this solid caramel color. I even tried
> > the reverse of caramel in different color modes.
> >
> > I came close when I changed the image from RGB
> > to LAB and manipulated the curves, especially the
> > L channel. But the result looked weak in yellow.
> >
> > So, there has to be a way though. I will keep
> > looking at it this weekend. If you get a keeper
> > write me w the results. I love making a silk purse
> > out of a you know.
> >
> > jr
> >
> >
> > >
> > > Hi everyone:
> > >
> > > I am trying to rescue a photo of an Indian long house that I shot
> 30 years
> > > ago in Alaska. Unfortunately, I forgot, and left my K-2 daylight
> filter on
> > > the lens (used for enhancing clouds in B&W film ) after changing
> over to
> > > Ektachrome. I have been fooling around with CS3 (still a novice)
> trying to
> > > repair or recapture the proper colors on this shot, but so far
> haven't
> > > figured out how to do it. Any clues from anyone? See it at
> > > http://www.flickr. com/photos/ kulshana/ 3042824000/ in/photostream
> > >
> > > Thanks for any help you can offer
> > >
> > > Elizabeth
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
> > >
> >
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>
>
> ------------------------------------
>
> ------------------- Photoshop-Haven --------------------~-~>
>
> BlogViewsByRoz.com<br>
> http://www.BlogViewsByRoz.com<br>
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------_->
> Yahoo! Groups Links
>


------------------------------------

------------------- Photoshop-Haven --------------------~-~>

BlogViewsByRoz.com<br>
http://www.BlogViewsByRoz.com<br>

---------------------------------------------------------------_->
Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Photoshop-Haven/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Photoshop-Haven/join
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
mailto:Photoshop-Haven-digest@yahoogroups.com
mailto:Photoshop-Haven-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
Photoshop-Haven-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

0 comments:

Template by - Abdul Munir | Daya Earth Blogger Template